Sunday, October 23, 2016

Collecting Bakelite in Today's Market Place



We have been buying and selling Bakelite jewelry and other Bakelite items since 2008 and have witnessed the landscape change in the last 8 years. It is becoming harder to find good quality items at a fair price. We have also seen the introduction of Fakelite coming from China and being sold on eBay.

eBay is packed with items that claim to be Bakelite but most first looks can tell you they are plastic or other materials. Sellers list items as Bakelite Celluloid Lucite trying to cover all the keywords that a piece of jewelry might be. Didn't take me long to find this example as it was on the first page of my search. Sometimes the seller just doesn't know what it is and while it is so easy to test Bakelite using semichrome, plastic polish or even water and a Q-tip.


Estate sales are yielding more and more plastic costume jewelry as the age of the owners start to creep into the 1950's and 60's from the 1930's to 40's. Unless they got grandmothers items you are to likely find more Lucite and just plain plastic pieces.

Here are some of our current Bakelite jewelry we have for sale on our online shop. These have all been verified and are identified by their industry known Bakelite colors such as Rootbeer, Ice Tea, Creamed Spinach, Paprika and such not brown and green..

http://www.govintagecollectibles.net/store/c5/Jewelry_%26_Watches.html

We would be interested to hear what you are seeing in your market places. Don't forget to check out our current selection of Bakelite items by clicking on the picture above or go to VintageMARK.

Until next time, Indy

3 comments:

  1. I found tons of jewelry in my mom's cedar chest after she died. There was one piece that stood out. Most of the jewelry has rhinestones? On them.
    The piece I thought was interesting was a chunky bangle bracelet. There were several colors that by looking on the inside I could see it had a few different colors but it is primarily green.
    I did some research, and I think I may have a "end of day" Bakelite bracelet.
    My grandmother lived with in Shelbyville Indiana most of her life. My mother was born in Shelbyville and lived there until her late 30's.
    I did not have the recommended testing materials, except my youngest son who knew what formaldehyde smells like from biology class.
    He rubbed it for a while, then made a face and asked why it smelled like formaldehyde?
    Any ideas on what I should do with it?
    Thank you for any advice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be interested in it. Send some pix to indypicker@woh.rr.com. Cheers, Mark [Indypicker]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw this. I will take a few with, I hope, lighting that shows the different colors you can see on inside.

    I am new to all the collections both my grandmother and mother had. Jewelry, salt and pepper shakers my mother collected while traveling.

    ReplyDelete